Sunday, August 19, 2012

Our Weekend and a Few Favorite Fall and Winter Recipes

Friday night Jonathan and I went to the Brad Paisley Concert at Snowden Grove on the Lawn in Southaven.  I was really excited to see The Band Perry, who opened for him.  They were great.  Well, Jonathan wasn't really feeling well when we headed that way and just got worse while we were there, so we left right before The Band Perry went off stage - so we never saw Brad Paisley, but that's ok!  Poor guy has been sick all weekend.
Waiting on the concert to start
Tucker stayed with my parents and she sent me this photo from him eating dinner- little stink pot! :)
 When Jonathan doesn't feel good, his favorite food to eat is Chicken Rice Soup, so Saturday I went to the grocery and got a full hen to stew, carrots, and celery.  This is one of my favorite recipes during the winter months, so it was a little treat to get it early - we don't have ANY soup during the summer time because Jonathan works outside every day all day, so he doesn't want to come home to hot food - I completely understand....

So Here's the recipe for Chicken Rice Soup:

2 Cups of Rice - Cooked
3-4 Stalks of Celery
1/2 bag of Carrots
Full Chicken

Cook the Chicken, then add the cut up celery and carrots to the chicken broth and shred the chicken.  Allow to cook until the celery and carrots are soft.  Spoon the broth mixture over cooked rice and sprinkle celery salt over the soup and enjoy.  So Delicious!!

The Chicken Rice Soup seems to last us a very long time, so I was trying to think of a way to put what was already cooked into another recipe and came up with a Chicken Pot Pie - I know that celery isn't really included in most pot pies, but we don't like peas in our pie, so I thought it might be a good substitute.  I just drained off the chicken broth, added all the chicken, carrots, and celery to a pot with 1/2 a cup of remaining chicken broth.  I also added one can of cream of chicken soup and some fresh corn- you could use anything - it's just what I had in the pantry :).  I made two pie crusts (you could use the pre-made ones at the store), and then layered it up - crust, filling, crust.  I was so excited to use all of this instead of letting it go bad. Cook at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. It was so yummy!

Ready to pop it in the oven!

Hope you had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment